Sunday, February 9, 2014

Week 5 of 365 Days of Art Challenge

I'm a bit late getting week 5 of the 365 Days of Art Challenge posted. This past week has been filled to the max for me. I spent the beginning (and end) of the week working on the Bible Bowl for the teens for our church, the Mesa Church of Christ. I've been helping with creating the questions for the area-wide bowl for the past several years. Thankfully, this year, I don't have to create the presentation, too. Another person volunteered to do that. About 100 teens from churches of Christ all over Arizona, as well as a few from California and New Mexico, come and participate in the Bible Bowl. Everyone has a great time!

Then the rest of the week, I attended the AQS Quilt Show held for the first time in Phoenix. You can see a list of winners here. I will post more about the show later this week.  I also took 3 classes with Noriko Endo, a quilt and fiber artist from Japan.I will also post about these classes later this week.

Today, I want to post my sketches I did this week. I continued to work on my dragon head sketches from J. "Neon Dragon" Peffer's book Dragonart Evolution.  I started with the eyes in week 3. In week 4, I drew 3 of the different types of jaws Peffer introduces. This week, I finished the other 3 type of jaws. Again I added more details to make an entire dragon head.

Pencil sketch on drawing paper. Closed under bite jaw.  In researching

dragons, I realized that I could use any animal to get inspiration for a 
dragon. I chose a ram's horns to create the horns for this dragon's head. 
Pencil sketch on drawing paper. Closed beak jaw. I added feather-like 
details for this dragon, like an archaeopteryx.   
Pencil sketch on drawing paper. Open beak jaw. I had the most fun 
drawing this dragon. I just added frills here and there for details. 
I just realized there's not a pupil in the last sketch with the open beak. But, that's okay. I'm learning to live with imperfections - I don't have to draw something perfectly before showing it off. I can just enjoy the process! I hope you enjoy my sketches, too.

2 comments:

  1. Your second picture has a great facial expression I see as "Really?!, tell me about it...(can't wait to hear this story!)" Enjoy reading your perceptive takes on your work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It makes me feel good that you see a story evolving from a dragon's expression. I would like my drawings to tell a story, but I'm not always successful at that. That's part of the reason for practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!!! But it's also why I titled this blog Creativity in an Imperfect World - to remind myself that I don't have to achieve perfection, I need to enjoy the journey!

      Delete