Thursday, September 25, 2014

Week 38 of 365 Days of Art Challenge

I can hardly believe how fast this year is going! It's almost the end of Sept. It's fall!  I miss the changing seasons here in the Arizona desert. Fall is still HOT!!! However, we are supposed to be done with days over 100! Whoo-hoo!!  That means I can finally start walking the dogs again! They miss their walks. (I miss them the daily walks, too!)

I've continued this week with my dragon sketches. This week is another medieval dragon from J. "Neon Dragon" Peffer's Dragonart Evolution: How to Draw Everything Dragon, which I have referred to many times in past posts (see last week's).

Spiked Medieval Dragon in rocky landscape. Pencil on mixed-media paper - 7" x 10". 

This exercise was a full-size spiked medieval dragon. I really didn't like the huge spikes that came out of the shoulders, shoulder blade area, and spine on the back of Peffer's dragon or the way her wings started in the middle of the back, instead of at the shoulder. It looked odd to me, so I changed the dragon to suite my vision of a spiked medieval dragon.  I added spikes that ran the length of the spine to the start of the tail. I also made my face a bit more benevolent than Peffer's fierce and frightening face. I rushed the landscape, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Next week I start "lung" dragons - which are Eastern, Oriental-style dragons. I don't know where the name "lung" comes from for these dragons, as this is the first-time I've seen the term.



Keep creating!!!


4 comments:

  1. I really like this one a lot. Great detailing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. Your comments are encouraging to me to keep creating!

      Delete
  2. Practicing? Rushing? I can only see a perfection here! Honestly, this drawing is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonja! I appreciate your comments. They help me to see my work as others see it, instead of with the critical eye I apply to myself.

      Delete