Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 33 of 365 Days of Art Challenge

This week went by quickly. I've been able to get out!! No more cabin fever!! Whoo-hoo!! It's wonderful to go out, even if it is hot. Although this week, we've actually had 4 days in a row below 100 and  in the middle of August - that is unheard of here in the Arizona desert! Certainly have been enjoying it!

I've continued with the dragon studies from J. "Neon Dragon" Peffer's book,  DragonArt Evolution: How to Draw Everything Dragon.  I started the last chapter (and largest chapter) of the book last week on dragon exercises - putting everything from the chapter on dragon anatomy together. This chapter includes exercises on types of dragon heads (see post Aug 6 or Week 31), dragon expressions (see post Aug 13 or Week 32), different types of dragons, dragon hatchlings, dragon riders, and dragon scenes.  This week I started the first of the different types of dragons - medieval dragons from European folklore. 

Most Western dragons are generally serpentine with four legs, wings, a long tale, and the ability to breathe fire. This week's study starts with differing medieval dragon heads in side view, front view, and 3/4 view.  

Horned Medieval Dragon Head, side view - pencil on mixed media paper. Overall, I am pleased 
with this dragon head. However,  I think I will limit the number of horns on each side of the head
in my own work and add a larger frill. (For these exercises, I'm not adding my own quirks, yet.)
Crested Medieval Dragon Head, front view - pencil on mixed-media paper. This head is
my favorite this week. I like her expression - she looks happy or pleased about something.
The other two dragon heads just have neutral expressions. The front view seemed a bit
easier to draw, too.
 
Spiked Medieval Dragon Head, 3/4 View - pencil on mixed-media paper. The 3/4 view is the hardest to achieve; although, this head doesn't show as much of the other side of the head as I would normally do in a portrait. Also, shading was more challenging, since this dragon is lighter than the others.

Next week, I continue with the study of medieval dragons, drawing the entire dragon. I'm looking forward to that!


Keep creating!!





1 comment:

  1. It is so inspiring to see you working through all these dragon studies. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete