Thursday, February 12, 2015

Weeks 3-5 of Weekly Art Challenge

I have been off my game to say the least the past 3 weeks. I'm sorry I did not have a chance to update sooner on what has been going on in my life and why I have not posted any art work for my weekly art challenge.

Week 3 was just an off week. My daughter was at the end of her 8th month of pregnancy and having routine weekly appointments. She had 4 "routine" appointments this week. One with her regular OB, one for a non-stress test, as the baby is diagnosed with Down syndrome and a heart defect, so she's in a high risk pregnancy category, although she's only 26 years old. Then she was a weekly sonogram with a genetic, fetal diagnostic specialist. This week, she also had an appointment with the pediatric cardiologist to check the baby's heart. The cardiologist gave us a scare, as he saw something unusual in the baby's brain. But the fetal diagnostic specialist said it was nothing and gave us great reassurance.

Week 4 again started with my daughter's normal appointments - OB, non-stress test went well. I also had 2 appointments for myself, as I needed hand surgery to remove a ganglion cyst. I wanted to have it done so my hand would be healed before the baby came. I had to have lab work and a medical clearance from my primary care doctor. He needed a further medical clearance from my cardiologist because I have a history of heart problems. Seemed like this was getting a bit ridiculous for a 10-minute outpatient procedure!! I have a face sketched that I'd been working on from Jane Davenport's book (see previous posts), but haven't had time to photograph it yet. Figured I'd do this after seeing cardiologist and taking my daughter for her sonogram - both on Friday. Well the baby decided to have other plans for us!  During the routine sonogram, her heart rate plummeted. The doctor literally flew out of the room and ran back in, stating she'd called an ambulance and the baby needed to be delivered now! She also called the OB and the neonatal ICU doctor telling them we were on the way to the hospital. The hospital was 2 buildings down the street from the doctor's office! But my daughter had to go by ambulance. That was the longest drive of my life!!

By the time the ER doctor saw and evaluated our daughter and the baby, the baby's heart rate had returned to normal. After consulting with the NICU doctor, they decided to induce my daughter rather than do an emergency c-section, since the baby was no longer in distress. We spent the next 36 plus hours with her trying to labor, confined to a bed, and not being allowed to eat, in case an emergency c-section would still be needed if the baby went into distress again. Which she did 3 more times, but would then stabilize, so they'd let my daughter continue to labor. Finally, late Saturday, after the 2nd round of medicine for inducing labor, they decided to schedule a c-section, as she wasn't making any headway. So Sunday morning, our granddaughter was delivered via c-section. She was a month early and weighed 4 lbs, 8 oz and was 16 1/2 inches long. I was allowed in the OR during the c-section, so I got to see our granddaughter and cut the cord (wow- what an experience!!). Unfortunately, the baby was whisked away to NICU (neonatal ICU) before my daughter got to even see her.

The baby's echocardiogram came out as expected - same heart defect as seen in sonograms and her brain ultrasound was normal!! Whoo-hoo!! However, she would need to remain in NICU for several days.

Now my daughter was in the hospital and the granddaughter in NICU, so I spent most of my time at the hospital. I had hand surgery mid-week, but still spent the night in NICU, as our "son-in-law" had to return to work.  By the end of the week, our daughter was discharged, but the baby is still in-patient.

Week 5 has still been spent running to and from the hospital, as well as to and from my hand surgeon. Our granddaughter has been moved to a step-down unit and is doing very well. She is feisty and has won the hearts of all the nurses and the doctor! We are hoping she'll be home by this weekend, if she continues to do well!! My hand is improving and I got the bandages off and am allowed to use my hand again!! Yay!! I can draw and paint again! It's been so hard to try to do things with my left hand or with only one-hand! So I've been unable to do any artwork or sewing the last 10 days, anyway, even if I hadn't been spending most of my time with the grandbaby at the hospital.

Getting to hold our teeny granddaughter in the NICU unit at the hospital. 

Hopefully, life will get back to a schedule and I can get back on track with my weekly artwork. I do have my Dylusions Journall now to catch up with the Documented Life Project (DLP) by Art to the 5th Academy.  Thank you for your support and prayers!

Keep creating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment